A growing body of research shows that bodybuilders and athletes can improve performance and muscle gains when consuming whey protein shakes and products. Whey protein is a derivative of real milk and not only supplies the body with protein, but also contains high concentrations of calcium, magnesium and other minerals that are absorbed readily in liquid form. Whether you're on a muscle gaining diet or want to lose body fat, consuming these shakes before and after your workout can power up your fitness routine and give you better results overall.
Gregg Avedon, author of the book, "Men's Health Muscle Chow" encourages training bodybuilders to consume a 'clean' diet with a lot of lean protein and to drink at least one protein shake each day. Consider these key benefits of whey protein shakes in bodybuilding and training:
1. Easily digestible nutrition. Bodybuilders and athletes who are always on the go can consume just one protein shake immediately after a workout for rapid absorption of key nutrients. Whey protein drink blends may contain vitamins and minerals that aren't readily available in everyday meals, making them a convenient supplement for those with busy lifestyles.
2. Lactose free. Bodybuilding professionals and athletes who are lactose intolerant do not need to give up milk products altogether when they consume whey protein shakes. These shakes are often made with a combination of egg protein, soy protein and calcium caseinate protein which means they do not have the same negative effects of pure milk products.
3. Rich in amino acids. The body needs high quality protein and essential amino acids to function optimally. Whey protein powders and shakes contain high concentrations of amino acids that aid with protein synthesis and can balance out any nutrition program.
4. Easy to use. Whey protein powders and shakes can be mixed into other foods and drinks for variety. Bodybuilders can mix protein powder into oatmeal and yogurt for breakfast; enjoy a fresh fruit smoothie made with a base of their favorite protein shake mix; or mix protein powder into soups and broths for a nourishing meal. There are countless ways to consume whey protein and enjoy a varied diet.
5. Improves muscle repair. After an intensive workout - especially one that involves heavy weight training or intensive training - the body needs to repair itself and can do this properly with a quality nutrition program. Protein is one of the essential building blocks for muscle repair and growth, and can be absorbed readily in the form of whey protein shakes and supplements. Consuming these shakes immediately after a workout can trigger rapid muscle recovery and improve overall strength.
6. Natural appetite regulator. Eating more protein wards off hunger and makes it easier to maintain a low-calorie diet. Athletes or bodybuilders who are trying to cut calories often feel less hungry when consuming high-quality whey protein shakes and powders. These shakes can be consumed as a meal replacement or as a snack between meals to optimize the nutrition program.
7. Boosts the metabolism. Consuming high quality protein at regular intervals throughout the day can serve as a vital source of energy and keeps the metabolism running at peak efficiency. This ensures optimal calorie burning and can also reduce feelings of hunger. It also prevents overeating at the next meal, since the bodybuilder or athlete feels more satisfied with less food.